hairy leg brigade

A bunch of bike riders who worship the journey and the coffee at the end more then their cycling image, some of them even have beards!

Monday, May 29, 2006

round and round AARC

There was a little break in the order of "the hairy leg brigade". No we all stayed "hairy" it is just that I did not join the rest to head down Beach road like every other weekend but took part in a race at the Australian Automotive Research Centre, AARC. It was one of a series of road races that is organised by the Carnegie Caulfield Cycle Club, CCCC.

The field was split up into grades from A through to E for juniors. As I had not raced for a while I chose to join about 14 other riders in D grade. We were the last to be let off for our 60 km race consiting of 1 hill lap under control 6 flat laps and 4 hill laps. The group was varied from 14 year olds all the way to their fathers. Only one guy was willing to work on the initial flat stages. We all let him sit out the front, every one conserving their energy for the hills that were comming.

The sun was shining and the riding was as boring as hell. The terrain very similar on the loop. I looked down and watched my shadow circle around me every 8 minutes as if I were a sun dial. It was my only way of knowing where I was in relation to the start finish line. As the shadow spun below my wheels comming from the right, around the front and to the back of me again, I began to get dizzy. I took a sip from my water bottle and finaly we hit the last lap and the turn off for the hills.

The start was a downhill, not too steep at 5% but with sharp corners. This being a closed road let us all relax and take the corners wide knowing that there is no cars around the corners. We hit the climb. I settled into my pace and shot through to the front. I did not want to make a show of my condition too early but it just felt so natural, and it felt so good, as if I was a pro heading up the peleton on a climb. The only problem is that it is not usually the winner who takes the lead this early. People started to drop off and we were down to 6 at the end of the climb. On the next time through again I found it easier to sit out the front and we dropped down to 4. At the end one of the other guys accelerated 20 meter off my front. I did not react. Problem was I could not react.

A briged the gap at the top and it was 3 of us with 2 hills to go. I knew that I was in trouble. The penultimate climb gave the other 2 riders a sizeable gap which I never closed. On the last lap I could still see them, make out that they had carbon bikes, shaved legs, these guys were serious. C grade came by me with who I could almost hold, they did not make contact with my competitors on the up hill. I rolled in in 3rd, $45 for the place.

 

posted by veggiedogs @ 10:34 AM 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home